Before, it was Mt. Maculot and Mt. Pulag. I fell in love with Mt. Maculot’s sunset view from the rocky tower and Mt. Pulag’s breathtaking sea of clouds. My boyfriend and I decided to have our Valentine’s date in the mountains. The last thing I know, I fell in love with it.
Eureka! I fell in love with Mt. Gulugod Baboy. It is located in Anilao, Mabini Batangas. The mountain slopes look like “pig spine”, where they got the name “gulugod baboy” from. Standing almost around 500 MASL this is the lowest mountain I have climbed so far. From the initial jump-off point at Philpan Resort is already a demanding assault. Though the road is cemented until the final jump-off, the weight of your backpack makes it a bit challenging. In 15-30 minutes trek, you’ll arrive at the final jump-off where you’ll see a sari-sari store. They sell soft drinks, alcohol and canned goods. From the store is another assault till one thirds of the climb. The mountain is not that high but the climb up is 70% assault and will only take 1-2 hours ascend depending on your stamina.
6 reasons why it’s now my favorite mountain:
1. It is near. A three hour drive or a 4 hour commute would already take you to the jump-off.
2. I love the view of its lush green meadows. It’s a countryside home of livestock: cows, goats and chickens. These chickens would even mingle with you while pitching tents.
3. The 360 degrees view of the ocean, islands and nearby mountains is panoramic. Batangas Port and other towns in Batangas you’ll see on the East, Sombrero Island and Maricaban Island are on the West side, view of Mt. Maculot and Tagaytay Highlands on the North side.
4. Side trip to the islands. From Philpan resort you can hire a boat going to Sombrero Island and Maricaban Island in Tingloy. One way boat ride will cost you 2 thousand pesos and the entrance to the island costs 200 pesos. There’s no water source, so you’ll have to bring enough water for drinking and cooking if you’re staying overnight.
5. Scuba Diving. Anilao is already known as a divers’ route. For those who are into scuba diving, Sombrero Island is a great side trip for you. They have this dive site at the back of the island.
6. Sunrise and sunset. I worship the sun, my trip to these mountains isn’t complete without seeing it rise in the crack of dawn or set in the twilight. You’ll witness both in Mt. Gulugod Baboy given that it is located almost in the shorelines of Batangas.
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the privacy on the campsite we chose. I was able to share stories about work, he was able to crack jokes. It is indeed a Valentine’s date to remember.
How to get there:
Via Private Transpo
1. Take the South Luzon Expressway and go straight to Star Tollway. Turn right on Balagtas intersection.
Via Public Commute
1. Ride a bus going to Batangas City Pier
2. Get off Balagtas (bus fare is 120-150 Php)
3. From Balagtas, ride a jeep to Mabini. Sometimes there are jeeps going straight to Anilao.
4. From Anilao, you can ride a jeep or a tricycle. But tricycle is more expensive. You can take a jeepney ride to Ligaya. (20-30 Php). Just tell the driver to drop you off Philpan Resort. They already know the place.
5. You can rest in Philpan before you start the trek. (resort entrance – 60 Php including the use of the comfort room)